Former ‘Bachelorette’ Contestant Tyler Gwozdz Passes Away At 29Published on January 24, 2020.
Former Bachelorette contestant Tyler Gwozdz has passed away following a suspected overdose. He was 29.
Gwozdz’s body is with the Pal, Beach Examiner’s Office, a spokesperson from the office confirmed to PEOPLE. An autopsy will take a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks to fully complete.
Earlier on Thursday, January 23, a representative for the Boca Raton Police Services Department said to the outlet that they “responded to a medical overdose” involving the former Bachelorette contestant on January 13, and added on that “the case is an active ongoing investigation.”
PEOPLE obtained a 911 call, and in the call, “a woman could be heard frantically attempting to locate Narcan, a nasal spray that can help reverse an opioid overdose, after breaking down the door to the bathroom that Gwozdz was inside and successfully turning him on his back.”
As reported by TMZ, paramedics transported Gwozdz to a hospital and then admitted into the intensive care unit. He reportedly remained hospitalized for a week and was listed in a critical, but stable condition. Then on Tuesday, he was no longer a current patient in their system, the outlet reported.
Gwozdz appeared on Hannah Brown’s season of The Bachelorette. He was the first contestant to get a one-on-one date with her, but he then suddenly left during the show’s third episode. There was no reason given to explain his abrupt exit, with Brown addressing the issue saying to the other contestants that he “had to leave.” Meanwhile there were several allegations about his past behavior that seem to contribute to his exit.
The former Bachelorette contestant told the Refinery29 at the time, “This was a decision that I came to with producers, and something that I’ve come to realize what is the best decision that could’ve been made.”
He also shared with the publication that the reason for his exit wasn’t aired was to respect his privacy.