A Roseanne Spinoff Is Reportedly Moving Ahead At ABCPublished on June 19, 2018.
It seems that the rumored Roseanne spinoff that ABC wanted after canceling the Roseanne revival is going ahead at the network.
According to a report from PEOPLE, Roseanne Barr has allegedly agreed to walk away completely from the series and characters she created so that the show’s cast and crew could keep the story moving with a spinoff in which she would not be a part of.
Following a racist tweet from Barr at the end of May, ABC’s president Channing Dungey was quick to drop the ax on the Roseanne revival, and it didn’t take long for rumors to circulate that the network wanted to create a show centered on Sara Gilbert’s character Darlene Conner.
It has also reported that Roseanne stars John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf would also like to participate in the spinoff, but are asking for the $250,000 that was agreed upon for the second season of the revival that is now not happening.
As previously reported, ABC’s determination to create a spinoff is not only for the fans, but to save the jobs of the writers, cast and crew who all lost their jobs because of Barr’s tweet. It was also said that while everyone hoped for the best for the Roseanne revival, there was a fear that something like this was going to happen. “Everyone is upset for the cast and the crew, but there was always a feeling that something was going to happen. There was always a heightened awareness with her and we were always on edge about her going off track,”an ABC source said.
While ABC was also adamant that they did not want Barr to benefit in any way from a spinoff, The Hollywood Reporter stated that if she does relinquish the rights to the series, she may receive a one-time payment or “go-away money.”